text randomly not showing

Anything about GOverlay and the devices supported

text randomly not showing

Postby Rushman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 am

I just got my lcdsysinfo and have set up a custom profile. I used a custom background (42KB) and added sensors. My issue is that the sensor text doesnt always render. Sometimes it does, other times its partial or none at all. It's usually the same ones that have problems but not always.... Very odd.

If I disable the background it seems a little better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rushman

Re: text randomly not showing

Postby TheLaGmAn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

It could be due to having too much stuff to render and the USB not being fast enough, a couple of things:

1- Try with another USB cable (a short cable)
2- Add more time to the cache refresh (Settings -> Cache lasts this amount..)
3- Lower the refresh rate

And see how it goes
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby walt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi TheLaGmAn,

just like Rushman i got my lcdsysinfo a couple of days ago. but after playing around with the display i've noticed the bug? with corrupting icons.

Image speaker icon and volume element corrupted
Image after manuelly refreshing Goverlay

i've tried the solutions with raising the cache and reducing refresh rate and even tried a new usb cable. but it didn't help.
although when decreasing the cache to -1 or a very low number, the icons get corrupted instantly. problem with the cache?

i hope you can help me cause i like that display !

walt

Postby TheLaGmAn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:36 am

manually refreshing GOverlay does the icon show okay? if it does then the icon is stored properly, if not, probably its corrupted in the device memory and you need to re-upload it.

Start a new profile and just add the notification bar to check if it gets currupted there, if it doesnt, start adding one element at a time, it could also be that some item is overlapping there (odd but could be)
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby walt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 am

Thanks for replying !

I've tried making a new profile with only the notification bar, the volume icon and volume level percent --> its getting corrupted again !
Its lasting longer especially when increasing the cache size. when i lower it to 10 for example the icons only last for some seconds befor getting corrupted. with max cache size (999) they last for some minutes.

i also thought that overlapping could cause the issue, but couldnt find out how the "sort element: 1437648572,48466" thing is working. maybe if you could explain it, i would try to sort the icons somehow.

walt

Postby TheLaGmAn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:56 pm

if you only have that element and is getting corrupted it could be something with the transfer and the USB cable.

Have you tried a different USB port? if you are connecting on the front of the CPU try on the back.

Can you also try on a diff computer? a notebook? because its really odd that it does it with just the notification bar.

Also try to upload ALL the files (EXCEPT THE PLUGIN ONES) to the device by going to the Upload files folder
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby walt » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:02 am

Already tried different cables and usb ports, also to upload all the icons. makes no difference.

But i think i found something: in the notification bar you can enable those other two bars. and it seems the "volume percent element" i put on top of the notic bar is getting corrupted by those other bars. even after i disable them.

Is there a way to avoid that??

walt

Postby TheLaGmAn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Now i get what you are trying to do.
The notification adds blank icons in that spot to clear out any old render and render the new icon in place again (this happens for everything there, including bar graphs, hdd usage, skype icons, etc).

So if you add something on top of the notification bar on the right-edge spot, it will get overwrited by a blank icon every time the screen renders and then the actual icon that would be there (a bargraph for ex, or stay blank if the bar graph is disabled).

Since the notification bar works like that, the alternative is to either re-create a notification bar yourself (by making a plugin) or adding the data you want more to the left, almost next to the weather icon, because the reserved blank icons that get respawned are using 8 slots (each slot is the space of a bargraph on the notification bar).

This has nothing to do with the cables or your device, its a software design on how the notification works because it was never inteded to be used with something on top. The only solution would be to have something on top re-drawing itself every time, because when it doesnt draw it to avoid an innecesary draw on the device (this is what the cache is for), the notification bar does draw on top.
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby walt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:59 pm

I dont know how to make a plugin ! :? :roll:

Would it be difficult for you to add a speaker icon and volume percentage to the notic bar in one off your next releases?

walt

Return to About GOverlay