Multiple questions about Goverlay usage.

Anything about GOverlay and the devices supported

Multiple questions about Goverlay usage.

Postby Racle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm

1) Is it OK to keep screen up and running 24/7?

I currently have to have PC up almost 24/7 (for backup reasons).
I'm wondering if there is way to powerdown Goverlay while user is away for ex. over 1 hour. Or is it OK to keep screen on.

2) And is there any way to get different profile while 3D (any game etc.) usage is detected, and return "normal" mode when game session is over?
I'm currently displaying FPS meter on my setup, but that is empty while using my desktop normally.

3) And is there way to disable decimals on sensor data?

I'm getting CPU % reading as ex. 78,09123. I don't really want anything more than 78. Same thing with GPU core frequency.

Cutting number ends up with 999999 reading, and cutting text leaves GPU frequency with ','
Because sensor reading is "780,12398" (or while in turbo mode, "1180,123123"). If I cut that for 4 letters, smaller reading is '780,', and I don't want extra comma there. And If I cut for 3 letters, larger is only 118, and not 1180, which is not correct.

I hope I'm not too unclear..

Racle

Re: Multiple questions about Goverlay usage.

Postby TheLaGmAn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 pm

1. You can keep the screen 24/7, i use mine 24/7 as well.

2. You have the "while gaming" profiles that will load up when a game with the same .exe that is using a 3d rendering is active, after the .exe closes it will return to the non-gaming profile you had active.

3. Which sensor are you using? you should be able to use the "max digits" option to set a maximum digits that it will use
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby Racle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm

TheLaGmAn wrote:1. You can keep the screen 24/7, i use mine 24/7 as well.

2. You have the "while gaming" profiles that will load up when a game with the same .exe that is using a 3d rendering is active, after the .exe closes it will return to the non-gaming profile you had active.

3. Which sensor are you using? you should be able to use the "max digits" option to set a maximum digits that it will use

1. Ok, will do that then :P

2. Would be nice to have universal setting for that. Now I have to use same screen or make dozens of profiles to archive what could be done by using same thing what it uses to check FPS (3D output?). So that feature would be nice addition.
If you can detect FPS (3D output?), use profile X (aka universal gaming profile) OR if there is profile with same .exe name, use that (to keep how it currently works), otherwise use default profile.

3. Example for CPU: I use OpenHardwareMonitor DLL and from that, CPU Total ([OHMD:/intelcpu/0/load/0]). Value on my lcdsysinfo (3.5") it seems to be between 2 and 6 decimals, ex 28,898988. If I put max digits = 3, I get 999. If I put anything under 8 there, I see 99999.. only IF decimals goes over that number. If my max digits is 7, I see 99999.. only when there is "enough" decimals, otherwise I see correct value. Same thing for GPU values.
Is there better way to get number WITHOUT decimals? They are almost useless currently.

I cannot use GPU core speed at all, because value changes from anywhere from 300mhz to 1180mhz WITH decimals, so even if I cut 3 characters, I still cannot use that while it runs with value of 4 characters long. If there was way to cut off decimals, that would be so much better.

I can reproduce #3 on 3D Overlay. If i put [OHMD:/intelcpu/0/load/0] on text area, and then switch to "Status" page, there is "Output would be:" text and under that is CPU total usage with decimals moving from 2 decimal to 6 randomly (trimming zeroes from end?).

You can see recording here: http://recordit.co/hdWlfeOV96

EDIT: seems that #3 could also bee OpenHardwareMonitor DLL bug. Would be nice to use DLL version, because I don't want so many background apps to be opened. If I keep OpenHardwareMonitor executable on background and use that sensor, it works like intended. That would be app #4 to keep in background then :) (RTSS, MSI Afterburner (game detection didn't work without this), Goverlay and OHM)

Racle

Postby TheLaGmAn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Racle wrote:2. Would be nice to have universal setting for that. Now I have to use same screen or make dozens of profiles to archive what could be done by using same thing what it uses to check FPS (3D output?). So that feature would be nice addition.
If you can detect FPS (3D output?), use profile X (aka universal gaming profile) OR if there is profile with same .exe name, use that (to keep how it currently works), otherwise use default profile.

If i understand correctly, thats how it works.
If a 3d app is detected goverlay will use the DEFAULT 3d gaming profile UNLESS there is a specific gaming profile set for it, in which case, will use that one.

Racle wrote:3. Example for CPU: I use OpenHardwareMonitor DLL and from that, CPU Total ([OHMD:/intelcpu/0/load/0]). Value on my lcdsysinfo (3.5") it seems to be between 2 and 6 decimals, ex 28,898988. If I put max digits = 3, I get 999. If I put anything under 8 there, I see 99999.. only IF decimals goes over that number. If my max digits is 7, I see 99999.. only when there is "enough" decimals, otherwise I see correct value. Same thing for GPU values.
Is there better way to get number WITHOUT decimals? They are almost useless currently.

I cannot use GPU core speed at all, because value changes from anywhere from 300mhz to 1180mhz WITH decimals, so even if I cut 3 characters, I still cannot use that while it runs with value of 4 characters long. If there was way to cut off decimals, that would be so much better.

I can reproduce #3 on 3D Overlay. If i put [OHMD:/intelcpu/0/load/0] on text area, and then switch to "Status" page, there is "Output would be:" text and under that is CPU total usage with decimals moving from 2 decimal to 6 randomly (trimming zeroes from end?).

You can see recording here: http://recordit.co/hdWlfeOV96

EDIT: seems that #3 could also bee OpenHardwareMonitor DLL bug. Would be nice to use DLL version, because I don't want so many background apps to be opened. If I keep OpenHardwareMonitor executable on background and use that sensor, it works like intended. That would be app #4 to keep in background then :) (RTSS, MSI Afterburner (game detection didn't work without this), Goverlay and OHM)

Go to "Sensors" on the left of GOverlay, go to the OHM tab and define the maximum of decimals (put 0), is that what you needed?
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby Racle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 am

TheLaGmAn wrote:If i understand correctly, thats how it works.
If a 3d app is detected goverlay will use the DEFAULT 3d gaming profile UNLESS there is a specific gaming profile set for it, in which case, will use that one.

Oh. How you make that work? Need select something somewhere or put special name for profile? I haven't figured that out. I always have just one profile in use.
EDIT: in 2.8" settings, there is While gaming. But in 3.5" settings that tab is missing. And i'm currently using 3.5" device. So that is missing feature?

TheLaGmAn wrote:Go to "Sensors" on the left of GOverlay, go to the OHM tab and define the maximum of decimals (put 0), is that what you needed?

Nope, doesn't work with DLL. It only affects sensor data which comes from OHM app (sensor without DLL in name). Build in solution still uses decimals randomly.

Racle

Postby TheLaGmAn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

You were right, that was only working on the 2.8,

I have released a new beta which allows you to create a profile named "default gaming" which will trigger for any game as default
Also, i have extended the support for the comma setting of OHM to OHMD, give it a try

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=488
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby Racle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

TheLaGmAn wrote:You were right, that was only working on the 2.8,

I have released a new beta which allows you to create a profile named "default gaming" which will trigger for any game as default
Also, i have extended the support for the comma setting of OHM to OHMD, give it a try

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=488

I must say, excellent work! That solves my problems :)
It works flawlessly!

Thank you very much!

Racle

Return to About GOverlay