Missing RTSS_Hook.dll

Anything about GOverlay and the devices supported

Missing RTSS_Hook.dll

Postby Nuendo999 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:06 am

Hello, I am using one of these units on Windows XP and when I shut down the program I get a message that I am missing RTSS_Hook.dll. While the program is working there isn't a problem, I only get this error when closing the program. This is a issue when shutting down the computer as this error will display each time.

How can I fix this issue please?
Attachments
RTSS_Hook.dll.JPG

Nuendo999

Re: Missing RTSS_Hook.dll

Postby TheLaGmAn » Sat May 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Its strange that it happens only when shutting down the computer, the error appears when GOverlay.exe is executed and not in the proper path (for example, a shortcut created but the working folder not being the folder where GOverlay.exe resides). The error could be that somehow then you shutdown your computer, an execution of GOverlay.exe is being made somewhere.

Can you check BEFORE the shutdown if there is more than one instance of GOverlay.exe in the task manager?

Also, if you can reproduce it every time, can you do the following tests and provide the results?

1- Start your computer
2- Close GOverlay
3- Shutdown the computer (see if the error appears)

1- Start your computer
2- Go to the GOverlay folder and look for log.txt, delete it
3- Shutdown the computer
4- When the message appears see if there is a log.txt file in the GOverlay folder again

1- Start your computer
2- Open the Task Manager
3- Go to the Details tab, see if there is a column named PID, if not, right click on any column, click select columns and look for PID, check it and hit OK
4- Take note of the GOverlay.exe PID number
5- Shutdown the computer
6- When the error appears, open the Task Manager again, look for GOverlay.exe and see if the PID matches the one you saw before.
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby Nuendo999 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:17 am

I have done some further testing with the following results. The missing RTSS_Hook.dll error occurs each time the program is shut down, so it is not specific to shutting down the computer. So when I manually close the program the RTSS_Hook.dll error will occur. There is only one instance of GOverlay running in task manager. The PID does change each time the program launches, however it also does in Win 7 and 10 and I am not getting the same error.

I have installed the GOverlay program onto another two XP computers for testing and they both get the same RTSS_Hook.dll error when closing the program. So I have three XP computers tested all experiencing the RTSS_Hook.dll error. I only experience this error on Windows XP.

Nuendo999

Postby TheLaGmAn » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Can you right click on the RTSS_Hook.dll file, hit properties and see if the file is blocked? (it will appear at the bottom)
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby Nuendo999 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:55 am

I have had a look at the file and it is not blocked. I had to have a look to see what a blocked file would look like and the RTSS_Hool.dll file seems to be fine. I have another thought, my Windows 7 and 10 are 64bit OS however my XP is 32bit. Given that I only have this problem on Windows XP and I have tested more than one XP OS with the same problem, could it have anything to do with the 32bit OS and the GOverlay program?

Nuendo999

Postby TheLaGmAn » Thu May 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the info.

Can you test if in 1.5.6 it still happens?
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby Nuendo999 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:21 am

I have installed the update, no error now thank you

Nuendo999

Return to About GOverlay