Tips for optimal layout

Anything about GOverlay and the devices supported

Tips for optimal layout

Postby Schnitzelbrain » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:50 pm

What are some good tips for an optimal layout. I have the display running since some days and have my first layout running.
While I am pretty satisfied with my early build, there are some questions unanswered.

I like to drop the questions here to get some more information to optimize and enhance the future use.

I understand and already tested that enabling transparency is using a lot of drawing power.
What else is a no no in sense of taking to much drawing time?
What are some tips from the developer.

Are other shapes except for square possible to use/upload?

Does reducing the loaded icons helping with performance, in example by deleting everything that's not needed?

Is there a manual available for the visual scripting modules, except of start left and end right?

Is it possible to script a counter, without relying on external sensor value input? It could trigger timed events, without external input.
Maybe via plugin, no not the slideshow plugin.

Why is there no orange as selectable color? Why is there no full color picker is it hardware capability?

Will there be the possibility (maybe there is one already, but couldn't find it) to not only do a right$ but also mid$ or left$ for cuting of chars from a value/string. Are more string manipulations planned. Regex would be to much I think to ask for.

Hope it's not to much asked :roll:

Greetz
Schnitzelbrain

Schnitzelbrain

Re: Tips for optimal layout

Postby Schnitzelbrain » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:52 am

Schnitzelbrain wrote:
Why is there no orange as selectable color?

At least an answer to this question.
Orange is there its around 64292 +/-.

I got it with the color picker out of an Bitmap.
Still dunno why it doesnt show up in the gradients

Schnitzelbrain

Re: Tips for optimal layout

Postby TheLaGmAn » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:38 pm

Sorry about the late reply, let me answer some of those.
What else is a no no in sense of taking to much drawing time?

As you said, transparency, big size images (in width/height) and custom fonts way down the line, even tho not much to make a real slowdown.

Are other shapes except for square possible to use/upload?

From shapes that the device can draw, no, not more, but you can always upload an image with the desired shape.

Does reducing the loaded icons helping with performance, in example by deleting everything that's not needed?

No, it does not affect the performance at all.

Is there a manual available for the visual scripting modules, except of start left and end right?

Not much at the moment other than this topic
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=716

Is it possible to script a counter, without relying on external sensor value input? It could trigger timed events, without external input.

With a plugin, yes, you can draw whatever you want to the sensor GOverlay shows at the desired time.

Why is there no orange as selectable color? Why is there no full color picker is it hardware capability?

The colors are limited and its a hardware limitation+software limitation on the picker, but you do have orange-ish with the color picker, even tho its a bit more like dark red. For true orange, as Schnitzelbrain suggested, that seems to be the color.
You can use this converter online
http://www.barth-dev.de/online/rgb565-color-picker/ (click on the color picker at top)
and the HEX result, convert it to integer with this
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/num ... cimal.html
and put it on the gobverlay color picket and hit "change".
We have it on the todo to make a better color picker.

Will there be the possibility (maybe there is one already, but couldn't find it) to not only do a right$ but also mid$ or left$ for cuting of chars from a value/string. Are more string manipulations planned. Regex would be to much I think to ask for.

We dont have this option other than a custom plugin to handle those scenarios or what visual script can offer, i will do have it mind for the future to see if we can enable any kind of regex even tho it will not be a regular user feature
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Return to About GOverlay