Anything about GOverlay and the devices supported

Re: Share your display!

Postby fifamaria » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 am

sorry, I dont have

fifamaria

Postby JPYZFR1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 am

DRA6N wrote:Here's my custom setup.

Very nice profile. Can you save it and post files?

JPYZFR1

Postby wiretap » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:00 am

JPYZFR1 wrote:
wiretap wrote:http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/wiretap25/Temp/20140927_135238_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Great display my friend. I want to ask you if it is possible to save your profile configuration and post it here? Thanks.

Here are all the things.. you'll probably want to upload the main large image last, as it takes up a lot of blocks of space.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/174 ... verlay.zip

wiretap

Postby ermethic » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Here is mine.

I used a dremel to make a hole in the front of my home storage / plex server chassis (a fractal design node 304), and mounted the lcd in it.

The info I needed was the IP address, up and download used bandwith, cpu / temp / fan module (i modified the standard one slightly, so it shows the cpu% on the gage and the temp and fan on the right), latency, storage usage, and on the lower part - a cpu graph and the top process.

While testing I discovered a bug in the App:process usage - 'top process' sensor - somehow it translates 100% in the numerical value 39, so it never goes higher than that. No idea how to fix it.

Would be friggin' awesome if someone would make a plex plugin that shows the plex activity (which user plays what).

ermethic

Postby gerlin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:59 am

Here is mine....

I just switched from a Logitech keyboard with a display to a mechanical keyboard and was missing the media info.

So far, it is all about what I am playing in MediaMonkey. I tried putting on the MediaMonkey logo on it, though I couldn't find any place that did not make it look cluttered.

You can do some nice stuff with the "Sensor Image Graph" object and custom graphics.

I wish I was smart enough to write a real plugin for GOverlay/MediaMonkey, though my hacking with writing/reading an ini file seems to work fine. The time bar updates every second and I don't see to be killing my system with the constant writing/reading. Maybe I can create a RAM disk for the ini file. The last time I used a RAM disk was back when I had my home built 386sx powered PC in 1990. It looks like there is software to do that for Win 7.

It looks much better in person (colors, sharpness), my phone camera is not so good for this.

Like most of you (I am sure), I wish there were more font choices (sizes), the "square" fonts were just too ugly for me to use. I wish I could make the Album Name and Year smaller, oh well.

I also had to do some interesting math so I could centered data in the display (gotta like proportional fonts), though so far it is working well.

I also had an issue with the display going into power-saving mode, though it looks like a time object, hidden with black text on the black background may have done the trick.

Certainly worth the cost for me.

gerlin

Postby TheLaGmAn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey Gerlin, it looks really awesome, very nice template, did your media player save all the info on the INI File by default or you had to tweak that out?
TheLaGmAn
Site Admin

Postby gerlin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:59 pm

I am using MediaMonkey (MM) and it does have pretty extensive scripting capability. It also supports most winamp plugins (there is one called amip. that can write player data to a file).

However, I am most comfortable in perl, so with the complexity of calculating the padding needed to center the text (based on actual characters used), I stuck with what I know best. So I ended up with a compiled perl system tray app that uses the Win32:OLE module to extract the base information from MM. I then "mess" with the data and write it out to the ini every second (which is then monitored by GOverlay).

I would think the same thing could be done from a vbs script directly from MM.

The other advantage to the way I am doing it is that it separates the display from the player. I can modify my app to collect data from anywhere (not just from the media player) and add it to the ini to display non-mediaplayer data if desired.

I did install a free RAM disk utility and the process is now doing all of the writing and reading to the ini in RAM. I did not have any performance issues straight from disk, though with a write/read happening every second (while a track is playing), I though it would be better to keep in all in RAM. Seems to be working fine this way as well.

gerlin

Postby Goatee » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Some really nice displays, inspired me to do my own.

Only thing left to do is get the temperature reading for the reservoir actually working. Currently its just reading a random motherboard temp.

Goatee

Postby Dobiwallah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:58 am

Hi, just here to show my display. I am more into the old stuff. Although my server looks old, it has 7 disks and a AMD8350 inside. The colors are looking a bit more white than the original photoshop file.

Dobiwallah

Postby spaljeni » Fri May 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Still working on the display.
I know it is not aligned perfectly yet, but I kinda like it like this.

EDIT: Why not a custom font :D

spaljeni

PreviousNext

Return to About GOverlay